To install a new Hickory Handle into a Hammer, Axe, Sledge Hammer, or splitting maul follow the steps listed below.
1. Saw off the old handle close to the tool head. (Hold in a vice etc. Some rubber or some type of protection will keep from destroying your makers marks). Using a punch drive out the old piece of handle. The old piece maybe loosened a bit by drilling through it. Be careful not to drill into your tool head.
2. Try fitting the new handle into the tool. If it is too large us a wood rasp, draw knife, sander etc. to slowly remove the wood until you can get a tight fit.
3. To seat the tool head onto the new handle strike the grip end or butt of the new handle firmly on the ground, driving the tool head down to within 3/4" of the shoulder swell of the handle.
4. Saw off the extra 1/2" or so of the handle now sticking past the tool head flush with the bottom side of the head.
5. Insert the hardwood wedge into the wedge slot and drive it in until it stops. Saw off any remaining wedge flush with the bottom side of the head.
6. Now if you like drive in flat metal wedge perpendicular, or at a 45 degree angle to the wood wedge. If you have a round metal safety wedge drive it in in the middle of the of eye space. It should divide the wood wedge on both sides.
Please work safe! Wear safety goggles, hearing protection, gloves etc. This is a general idea of how to install a new handle and is not the only way to do it.
To contact us please use the following: www.Beaver-Tooth.com. Beaver-Tooth Handle Company. Email: email@example.com